Cahir is a wealthy town full of history, sceneries, most of the places are almost only thirty minutes’ drive away, and honestly all these places are pleasure for your eyes.
Athassel Abbey (Priory)
Athassel Abbey (Priory) is known for one of the largest monkish ruins in Ireland and unbelievably it is of the best-kept secret. Athassel is seated alongside the Suir River that is about 2km in south of Golden. Originally built by William Fitz-Aldhelm de Burgho who founded the Burke Family under the order from King Henry II. King Henry was a kind and nobleman who had planned to rule Ireland with peace and kindness instead of war and swords.
The building was constructed in late 1100’s or 1500’s that covered almost four acres; however, it was one of the most impressive accomplishments of the Augustinians.
The direction from Cahir is very simple, just take the R639 road (also known as N8) to Newinn, and turn to the left at Golden. Take left from Golden and to (T-junction) pass over the river Suir and turn left again, there will be signboard of Abbey but it is small and can be missed, after that, about 2km of drive and the Abbey appears on the left.
There is only one parking spot that is at the top of track farm that has enough space for two cars without stalling the lane. After that, you just have to walk along the road to a stone stile to enter the area of Abbey.
During the time of planning, it was originally planned to make Athassel accessible with more parking space for vehicles.
Crimean Bob Plaque and the Barracks
The British army for about 1811 to 1922 maintained their army camps at Kilocommon in outer Cahir. It was the main assistance base camps in Tipperary and the head quarter for the ‘South Irish House’. Nearly, a small town of about 1000 residents it has bought prosperity in terms of economic and social aspects for the town with a friendly relationship with the army and local people. However, the unfortunate events of Civil War destroyed the place but still the walls, gates and soldier’s social club is still there.
The army base camp provided stabling for almost 263 horses and of all these Crimen Bob had a fine career. There is a plaque attached on the wall below the library, which is a mock-up of one of those camps tells the story of Crimen Bob in text.
The Blind Piper Statue
Another interesting fact about Cahir, Ireland is the great Uileann player Edward Keatng Hyland was born here in 1780; his statue is situated at the centre of Cahir, Co Tipperary. The man lost his sight very early but became a professional player of Uileann pipes. The famous ‘Foxchase’ music was composed by him for the pipes, which was later played during the fourth visit of King George in Dublin in 1821. The King was so overwhelmed with the music that he ordered the most finest set of Uileann pipes in honour of Edward Hyland.
Knockgraffon Motte is located at north of Cahir is synthetic hill is remain of Motte and Bailey Castle that is said to had the coronation ceremony of High King of Munster. The guidebook of Cahir castle has an illustration of how it must have looked in its glorious years. A short but steep hike to the peak that provides a panoramic view of sceneries and Tipperary’s famous Golden Vale.
Cahir Presbyterian Church
The church of Cahir Presbyterian is located at the Abbey Street that was built in 1834 1as the clubhouse of the Society of Quakers. The residence of many Quakers was at the Georgian houses of Upper Abbey Street. The Cahir Presbyterian congregation leased the church in 1881, who also purchased the freehold in 1897.
St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church
The St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church was inaugurated in 1833, built by John Mullaney with the design of the architect John B. Keane and completed in 1839-1842. Later, in 1888 the interior of the church was refurbished. The church have some ancient interior pieces such as some stained glass and pipe organs created by the well-known Willis firm that was installed in 1866. During renovation in 1968-70, most of these interior pieces were removed as the aftermath of Vatican II but fortunately most of the exterior pieces completely survived.
St Pauls Church
St Pauls Church, the Anglican district church of Cahir was built in 1817- 1818 with the help of design of the architect Josh Nash, it is triangle of buildings built by Royal Architect for the estate of Cahir. St Paul is known to be one of the church of Nash designed that survived and has most of its original interior. It is linked up with The Sensory Garden, local retreat that is designed to kindle up the senses through natural ways.
Old St Mary’s Parish Church
The Old St Mary’s community church was originally built during the medieval times by the satellite churches of Cahir Abbey. The parish church is a multi-period construction that was priory constructed with Limestone and nave and chancel that was joined up by an incomplete arch. There is also a twin bellcote ( a frame to hang bell) at the west side. Certain parts of chancel are evidence of fifteen century architect, however, there are also some remains that suggest the site of much earlier construction. In 1820, the concern about its design and unsuitable size and location led to its opening in Church Street.
St Mary priory known as Cahir Abbey was a residence of Augustinian Canos Regular. This was found at the end of 12th century. In 1540, during the closure of monasteries, it was found to have been ancient church. It is situated at Upper Abbey Street near the railway bridge. This place is now under the care of The Office of Public Works.
Erasmus Smith House
The Erasmus Smith House is located at the Church Street, it was originally built in 18th century as the school house for Anglucan Parish even though it was open for all children. This building was built under the funding from The Erasmus Smith Trust and designed by Richard Butler, Earl of Glengall. At the end of 19th century the building became the National School for Cahir until 1963. Decades after being used, the building is now renovated and serves as Cahir Area Office for South Tipperary County Council.
The Craft Granary
The Craft Granary building is placed at the Church Street. The building was built by the Butler family in 19th Century. The building has always been useful for example, one time it was used as linen spinning factory and also a grain store factory. However, the unfortunate events happened and the building was completely destroyed by fire accident. In late 1990s, it was renovated and in 2000, it was opened again as regional craft centre. The Craft Granary exhibits and sells the art work of crafts people from all of the surrounding regions. Those crafts including, textiles, pottery, wooden pieces and glassware ornaments and jewellery. The gallery also features photographs taken by local photographers. The gallery is located on the first floor with no entry charges.
The War Memorial
The War Memorial was founded by the people of Cahir and district. This memorial was created with limestone cross, in the memory of 88 officers and men who died in the Great War in 1914-18. This memorial was unveiled on November 20th, 1930 at Castle Street in Southern Ireland. In 1996, this monument was scrubbed and re-dedicated to all the citizen men or women of the town who died during war at home or away from home.
The Butler-Charteris Memorial Fountain
Lady Margaret Butler-Charteris formed the Butler-Charteris Memorial Fountain in 1876 at the heart of The Square in the memory of her late husband, Lt. Col. the Hon. Richard Charteris. Fortunately, the fountain was improved over the time and profoundly supplies water to the citizens. High-pressured pipes were used to spread the water supply to several miles.
In 1926-28, the townprolonged a water supply to those houses that wish to get a private supply and reserved private ownership of the supply until it sold on 1962.
The Sensory and Mobility Garden
The Sensory and Mobility Garden is sited in the Church Street, the sensory and mobility garden was opened for public in 2005 as a joint venture between the South Tipperary County Council and the Vocational Educational Committee. It was specially formed to be available and can be amusing to all citizen and tourist, but mainly for people with disabilities. The garden consist of many diversethings, for example, scented plants, monuments, water features, Braille signs, textured pathways and much more to motivate the senses. It also provides a safe haven of harmony and a place to unleash all the stress.
The name ‘Vee’ originated from its V shaoed gap between Knockmealdown Mountains. This is such a pleasant drive from the signpost of Cahir to Lismore and Cappoquin right through the village of Clogheen. The mountain is is covered with Rhododendron shrubs during Mid-May or Mid-June depends on the weather. The peaceful drive starts from 610m above sea level with few lay overs and picnic points. The highest peak of the Vee is the Knockmealdown of about 794m
The Mitchelstown Cave
The Mitchelstown Cave is located at the south-west of Cahir. These mineralcaves, consist ofremarkable rock creations and ancient fossils that were discovered by an accident in 1833 by men extracting for stones in this cave. These fossils were named the Mitchelstown Caves as they were sited on the Mitchelstown Castle land, close to the townof Burncourt. The temperature within the cave is relentless at 12° Celsius all year. The cavescovers for over 3km from the entrance to the deepestcave but the public has access to only 1 km with in the cave. Musical concerts have also taken place in the largest of the caves that within the public accessible area. This is considered as one of the the best caves in Ireland, totally accessible (about three voyages of steps) and the walking is easy too. It is open all year.
The Swiss Cottage
The Swiss Cottage building is located at Kilocommon Demesne, an 800 acres walled park located at the centre of the Butler of Cahir Estate. The Swiss Cottage was originally known as ‘The Cottage’, which was built in 1810 by Josh Nash, Royal Architect. The cottage is situated nearly 2km away from the heart of Cahir, you can take a car or you can also walk along the trail by the river and golf club, the Swiss Cottage walk, which is also known as Coronation walk. The place has been renovated and open for public sine 1989.
The Cahir castle is one the famous and preserved feudal castle in Ireland. It is situated on the rocky island in the centre of Suir River. It signifies the zenith of the ancient skill and consists of few portcullises that works just fine at the island of Ireland. The Cahir Castle was owned by the Butler Family for almost 600 years that is why it represents those structures mostly of 13th and 15th century. It is declared as a national monument that is open for public since 1917.
Over the years, the exterior and well condition of the Cahir Castle has steered for its use as movie sets. The castle has been featured in two big budget movies ‘Tristan and Isolde’ featuring with Richard Burton and the movie Excalibur starring Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, Helen Mirren and Gabriel Byrne, and directed by John Boorman. The movie also starred John Boorman’s children. His son Charley Boorman is now particularly famous for his motor cycle adventures with Ewan McGregor. Recently, the castle has been used in filming of famous Irish TV serial ‘The Tudors’